2016 TOP 10 Hot Trends
500 PROFESSIONAL CHEFS across the country identified the menu items and cooking methods at the peak of popularity, as well as up-and-coming culinary trends, in Restaurants Canada’s seventh annual Canadian Chef Survey.
TOP 10 HOT TRENDS
1. Craft beer/ microbrews
2. Charcuterie/ house-cured meats
3. Ethnic sauces (e.g. sriracha, raita/raitha, chimichurri, soy sauce)
4. Locally sourced foods (locavore)
5. Food smoking
6. House-made condiments/sauces
7. Gluten-free/food allergy conscious
8. Inexpensive/ underused cuts of meat (e.g. beef cheek, brisket, pork shoulder, skirt steak)
9. Organic produce
10. Leafy greens (e.g. kale, Swiss chard, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion, beet greens)
CRAFT BEER is a trend with staying power, according to Restaurants Canada’s 2016 Canadian Chef Survey.
After rising to the top of the 2015 survey, craft beer/microbrews remains the No. 1 hot trend in Canadian restaurants.